Are you thinking of heading off for an exciting skiing holiday but not sure when to go? Here is all the information you need to choose the best time of year for a Family Skiing Holiday!
Any family holiday takes time and careful preparation to organise, but perhaps none more so than the family skiing holiday! Organising travel, packing the right gear, hiring equipment, purchasing ski passes and making sure you choose appropriate accommodation are all things to consider.
Another factor, of course, is the time of year you choose to go. There are skiing resorts all over the world, which means it is possible to find some snow at any time of year if you are willing to travel far enough. However, most family skiers will probably prefer staying close to home.
The ski season in Europe tends to run from December to late April, and there are advantages and disadvantages to going in each particular month. To help you decide when the best time for your family skiing holiday might be, let’s take a look at some of them:
December can be a fantastic time to pack up the family and get away from it all with some incredible skiing. With snow covered mountains, luxury, oh-so-cosy ski chalets, and plenty of other family-friendly activities on offer, December looks pretty good for family skiing.
In December you can:
- Ski the first week of the season and get into the Christmas spirit before returning home to enjoy the festivities. All our resorts are wonderfully decorated for Christmas by this week, and it is often a good value time to take the family away on holiday.
- Head out for a magical Christmas week! Enjoy a family Christmas in the mountains. Let someone else cook the turkey while you work up an appetite on the slopes, and then relax by the fire in your alpine chalet while someone else does the washing up! On a Ski Famille holiday each child gets a special visit from Father Christmas too, and in Les Gets you can even go and meet him in his log cabin in the Enchanted Forest.
- New Year week – See in the New Year in luxury and style in one of our beautiful ski resorts. Enjoy the glittering fireworks with a backdrop of snow-topped mountains, and watch torchlit descents by local ski instructors.
Remember: Some families may be worried that ski conditions won’t be guaranteed this early in the season. However, if you choose a higher resort such as Reberty 2000, Les Bruyeres or La Plagne, the snow should be plentiful and perfect for skiing!
If you prefer a quieter family skiing holiday then January is an ideal month as it tends to be less busy on the slopes – this is perfect for families with inexperienced skiers who want to spend some quality time together.
In January you can:
- Enjoy the quieter season meaning shorter queue times for lifts, fewer people on the slopes and a more peaceful, tranquil atmosphere in the resorts.
- Great snow conditions. January in any of our resorts should practically guarantee brilliant skiing conditions.
- Fantastic value for money – the January weeks tend to be among the cheapest for accommodation so you can enjoy all the luxury and comforts of a beautiful ski chalet at a very reasonable price.
Remember: If you do plan to go skiing in January it does tend to be the coldest month of the season – so wrap up warm and make regular stops for hot chocolate or “vin chaud”!
February is perfect for a fun-filled half term week of family skiing, and lots of families find this is their preferred month to hit the slopes!
In February you can
- Make sure children don’t miss out on school by taking them during February half term.
- Enjoy the best ski conditions of the year (usually!)
- Get involved with the hustle and bustle of the resorts and interact with lots of other families and children enjoying their skiing holiday too.
Remember: French school holidays fall during February so be prepared for slopes to be busier throughout this month.
If you fancy a skiing holiday in March, expect great snow conditions, and an overall more peaceful skiing experience!
In March you can:
- Relax and unwind! Similar to January, March is another quieter month on the slopes. French School holidays are over by the second week in March, so the pistes tend to be less busy meaning you and your family can enjoy a calmer atmosphere and take to the slopes without feeling rushed.
- Enjoy the warmer weather! It starts to get a little bit warmer in March, which may be rather attractive to those ‘fair-weather-skiers’ amongst us! With the sun making more of a regular appearance that mid-morning slopeside coffee can double up as a sunbathing session!
- Still take advantage of the excellent snow conditions – March actually tends to be one of the snowier months.
- Make the most out of your trip. With the changing of the seasons come longer days and later lift closing times – which means more skiing time.
Remember: If what you love about skiing is the hustle and bustle of the resort and interacting with other families this might not be the right time for you.
April sees the warmer weather coming in, and while the snow is still good, it is probably your last chance of the season to enjoy a family skiing holiday together.
In April you can:
- Take advantage of beautiful spring skiing – longer days means more skiing time and warmer weather.
- Head to the higher up resorts now it is nearing the end of the season- La Plagne, Les Bruyères, Reberty 2000 are the best for April skiing conditions, and those with a glacier are also a great choice.
- Bag yourself a bargain – prices of lift passes fall during this final month of the season.
- Enjoy the best of both worlds. Warm and sunny weather makes for a great Apres-ski scene and more chances for your children to get out and about in resort with our nannies as part of our fantastic in-chalet childcare service. For those learning to ski, the warmer weather can also make the lessons more enjoyable!
- Head to fun festivals and entertainment on the slopes such as the brilliant Sublicimes in La Plagne.
Remember: While the past few years have given us some truly fantastic late snow/ski conditions, if you do leave your skiing holiday until April you cannot enjoy the same snow guarantees as earlier in the year!
Skiing with your family can be enjoyed for many months of the year. However, we know that each family is different. Some may enjoy the buzz of busy slopes and an action-packed and energetic resort. Others may prefer a quieter atmosphere with plenty of time for gentle, hassle-free skiing. With this guide to the best time of year for a family skiing holiday, you can decide exactly the right time to take your family skiing and enjoy your holiday just as you like it!
Ski Famille offers fantastic family skiing throughout the ski season – if you would like to know more order a copy of our 2017/18 brochure today.